Lemony, flavorful chicken on top of delicately cooked spiralized zucchini may just be your new weeknight meal.
So yes, I spiralize a lot. I’ve said before that the Veggetti is my favorite kitchen accessory, and at $8 its really not too out of budget for most households. However, an upcoming blog post will feature other ways of making vegetable noodles that don’t involve this accessory (despite how truly awesome it is).
Just look at that zoodle-y goodness!!!
While I was prepping to make this dish, I actually got a text from one of my friends asking how to make “veggie spaghetti” without a spiralizer so that she could satisfy her Italian cravings. Explaining this through text was not my greatest feat, so its in the plans to make some large scale zoodles using various cuts and devices. (Get excited)
Hannah ended up doing just great with my terrible text directions and even uploaded it to Instagram! I love helping friends with cooking 🙂
Back to the matter at hand.
Chicken Piccata is likely my favorite Italian dish. It’s basically fried chicken italian style, only with less oil (pan fry helps) and has such freshness from lemon and capers! Ugh, just thinking about it makes me satisfied.
Another plus for this meal is that it only takes one pan! Yes, just one. The prep may take a few extra plates and stuff if you choose to do an egg wash-flour process. I do suggest this, but if you don’t have any eggs or don’t have the time, feel free to just flour the chicken breast as is. The directions call for flour to make it easier for y’all, however, I make mine half flour and half breadcrumb to give it a bit more texture.
I’d like to apologize if you follow me on Instagram (@mindtotable) because I pretty much promised this recipe would be up a month ago. Unfortunately, life gets in the way. So does technology. I try to take my blog-worthy pictures with my camera, but (of course) it died mid-cooking. So the final pictures were taken with my iPhone which let in a lot of unfortunate shadows. Not a huge deal. just how life goes 🙂
Ingredients (feeds 2)
- 2 Chicken breasts
- 3 Zucchinis
- 1 Lemon
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1/2 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1/4 cup mushrooms (optional)
- Salt and Pepper
- Parsley for garnish
- Butterfly chicken breast so that they are nice and thin
- Make egg wash- Beat one egg with a tablespoon of either milk or water until mixed well
- Season flour- As mentioned above, I add breadcrumbs, salt and pepper to my flour
- Juice and zest the lemon
- Spiralize Zucchini- I did mine on the “thin” setting
- Heat oil and butter in large pan over medium heat
- Dredge chicken in egg wash, then flour, and pan fry
- Flip chicken breast until golden brown, and set aside
- Add broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, mushrooms, and capers to pan. Whisk together while scraping the (delicious) brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Place Chicken back in the pan with the yummy liquid and let sit for three minutes- flipping as necessary
- Take chicken out (again) and add in spiralized zucchini to liquid for 30 sec- 1 minute
- Plate zoodles with tongs and place chicken on top. Reduce the liquid on high for another 1-2 minutes and pour over the top of everything
- Garnish with Parsley and any remaining capers